The Evolving Story of YO Ranch Headquarters
On October 5 of 2015, Byron and Sandra Sadler and their partners Lacy and Dorothy Harber purchased nearly 5,400 acres of the historical Y.O. Ranch.
Under the new ownership the ranch was renamed Y.O. Headquarters. Since then, extensive renovations have been made which includes new roads, brush clearing, new lodging and much, much more.
Steeped in history, the Y.O. Ranch remained the property of the Schreiner Family since 1880 when Captain Charles A. Schreiner began amassing the 566,000 acres of ranchland in the aftermath of the Civil War.
From its humble beginnings as a vast ranchland, carrying through five generations, Y.O. Ranch Headquarters will continue operating as a premiere hunting and tourism destination.
The Sadlers and Harbers are dedicated conservationists, members of Safari Club International, National Rifle Association, Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, Exotic Wildlife Association, as well as a myriad of other organizations serving and protecting the wildlife community.
Renovations planned for the property will sustain the legacy of the historic Y.O.Ranch for generations to come.
History of the Y.O. Ranch
Captain Charles Schreiner immigrated from Alsace-Lorraine in 1852.
The Y.O. brand was first used on the Texas gulf coast in the 1840’s by Youngs O. Coleman of the Fulton Family Ranching Empire near Rockport. The brand changed hands and made its way to hill country near Kerrville.
In 1880, The “Captain” purchased the Y.O. Ranch, its brand, and its cattle from Taylor and Clements with profits he made by driving more than 300,000 head of Texas longhorns “up the trail” to Dodge City.
DeerIn the early 1950’s, Charles Schreiner III pioneered exotic wildlife ranching at the Y.O Ranch, stocking the ranch with game animals from all over the world.
As early as 1953, Blackbuck Antelope, Axis Deer, Sika Deer, Fallow Deer and Auodad Sheep were introduced and have been running wild with the native Whitetail Deer since.